Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fermats last sentence

Today I had time for some leisure reading. I recently got Fermats Last Theorem by Simon Singh. It's a pleasure to read, I do feel that it's really lacking in sources especially in the stories about Pythogoras which is told in (uncredible?) detail. But some of them are interesting enough. I learned the Pythogoras sentenced Hippasus to drowing because he discoverede the irrational number sqrt(2) which was considered some kind of heresy. I think the stories retold by Simon Singh are taken from Pythagoras: His Life, Teaching and Influence by Christoph Riedweg and found some online debate that indicate that they are not really well supported. I learned the concepts of the theorem, but it's annoying that the book is not more critical of its sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment