Thursday, May 16, 2013

Eignvalues noch einmal

Today was the last day of mathematical analysis and Linear Algebra with Dan Witzner. Me and Florian did a lot of exercises with eignvalues and vectors. I guess I would take away that the procedure for finding eignenvalues for a 3x3 matrix involves solving a third-degree characteristic polynomial and I did not remember how to do that. My "memory path" for finding eigenvalues and their egenvectors:

1. Ax=λx -> (A-λI)x=0  
2. This means that det(A-λI) must be 0, which leads us to the characteristic polynomium.
3. Solve the polynomium to find λ
4. for each λ find the linear combination that fulfills (A-λI)x=0
5. All linear combinations of the vector(s) found in 4 are eigenvectors belonging to λ.

In general I need to study these topics again before my exam:
SVD, Gram-shmidt, the advanced parts of the calculus corriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment