Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Since last time - Ugly fonts on SSRS charts

Since finishing my thesis I have moved away from working with C++ to a temporary job with SQL and the microsoft BI stack while I await a decision on my Ph.D. application. So I will try to write a bit about SSRS and SQL here the next few months. I also try to catch up on some F# in my spare time so hopefully I will also write a bit about that.

Today I had to deal with a old nemesis: SSRS 2008. When drawing graphs the font sometimes becomes terribly ugly. The problem is that SSRS cannot use anti-aliasing when you set the chart background to "No color", simply because it appearently has to render the chart before knowing about the color of the background. If you set a background color the text becomes smooth again. You can then use if statements to make the background conditional, ex. make it different when printing and viewing online using Globals!RenderFormat.

Also yesterday I learned that the VB 2005 expressions you write in SSRS 2008 have two different "OR" statements: Or and OrElse. The last one is short-curcuiting, but the other one isn't. Why would you ever need one that isn't? I really cannot come up with a case for VB 2005 regular Or.


No comments:

Post a Comment